Included in our box from Queener Farm this week, were enough Bramley’s Seedling apples to make a pie. The Bramley’s seedling is a classic English cooking apple.
The first Bramley’s Seedling tree grew from seeds planted in 1809 bya young girl, Mary Ann Brailsford, in Southwell, Nottinghamshire, UK. The tree in the garden was later included in the purchase of the cottage by a local butcher, Matthew Bramley, in 1846. In 1856, a local nurseryman, Henry Merryweather, asked if he could take cuttings from the tree and start to sell the apples. Bramley agreed but insisted that the apples should bear his name.
In 1900, the original tree was knocked over during a storm. The tree survived, and is still bearing fruit two centuries after it was planted.
The variety is now the most important cooking apple in England and Wales
I decided to make a classic apple pie with my Bramleys – – COnclusion below.
I don’t really like this apple for pie – not bad, but maybe not for the whole pie. It was really, really tart and turned to apple sauce in the pie. I like a little more bite in my apples.
We picked up 12 ears of corn from a roadside stand on our Saturday trip to collect our apples from Queener Farm. It’s a beautiful drive down to Scio through Silverton, Stayton and Sublimity – rolling hills, tidy fields and beautiful old barns.
This morning I set about to shuck the corn and cut off the kernels (into a large wooden bowl which helps contain the kernels). To each preheated pint jar, I added 1/2 t salt corn kernels to about 3/4″ from the top and then added boiling water to top them off. Then I popped on the lids and rings and processed them for 55 minutes. I have 6 pints in the canner now with more ready to go when those come out.
I also scraped the ‘milk’ off the cobs to make a pint or so of cream corn.
Today was a harvest day. I picked tomatoes and squash from the garden, grapes and pears from the chicken yard, and blackberries from the hedgerow.
This weeks apples from Queener Farm that DH deemed “not eaters” have become a lovely pie and gone into the dehydrator. The grapes were processed in the dehydrator (raisins), the steam juicer (canned juice) or saved to eat fresh. Everything else will have to wait until tomorrow.
This year we have a lot of peaches on our sad little peach tree down in the kitchen garden. They are bruised and bumpy and just not pretty, but that poor little tree tries so hard that I feel badly just feeding them to the hens. I picked the first bunch, a nice big bowl full and decided to can sliced in a light honey syrup (just 1/2 cup of honey per 6 cups of water).
Cut X’s in the bottoms of the peaches, dunk them in hot water for 45 seconds and then transfer them to ice water with a little citric acid (to keep the color).
Halve the peaches, scoop out the ragged bits around the pit, peel them and cut into slices – then back into another bowl of water with citric acid.
Pack them into pint jars, sinking a piece of star anise into each. Fill with more peaches to about 1″ from the top.
Add the honey syrup to within 1/2″ from the top. Jiggle the peaches around a bit with a butter knife to loosen any trapped bubbles.
Process for 25 minutes in a water bath (I use a steam canner).
We have a lovely pile of produce waiting for me to attend to it. It must have inspired DS19 while I was at the dentist because when we returned home he had a pot of homemade tomato sauce started on the stove. After his lunch there was still quite a bit in the pan so I decided to transfer it to some canning jars and pressure can it. I also had leftover chicken broth in the outside refrigerator so it might as well have joined the tomato sauce.
While the canner was chugging away, I decided to start a batch of Kimchi with some Nappa cabbage and bokchoy that were getting a little older, adding some tops from purple onions and a carrot. I also roasted the tomatillos from the CSA delivery along with the purple onions and some garlic. Tomorrow they will combine with cilantro, fresh garlic and a jalapeño for a RoastTomatillo Salsa.
Once that was all taken care of I noticed some corn I had left out overnight and a last bag of string beans from the CSA. The corn was taken off the cob and popped into two jars with a little salt and hot water. The string beans received the same hot water treatment but they were processed separately because they require different timings.
Lastly, the bones leftover from supper have been neatly tucked into the instant pot with leftover carrots and some shabby looking green onions. An hour pressure cooking followed by an overnight slow cook should yeild some lovely