- 1-3/4 cups filtered water
- 1.25 Tablespoons (15 – 30 ml) high-quality sea salt
- cucumbers 1-2 in chunks or slices (I had a big, overgrown one)
- 2-4 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tablespoon pickling spice
- 5 – 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon black tea leaves
- 2 clean grape leaves
1. Dissolve the salt in the water
2. Slice the cucumbers and soak 30 minutes minutes ice water.
3. Place the dill, bay leaf, mustard seeds, onion, garlic, and tea leaves into a quart-size, wide-mouth mason jar and pack in the cucumbers.
4. Cover the contents with the grape leaves and then pour in the brine until it reaches about 1/2 inch above the top.
5. Place an air lock onto the jar. Allow to ferment for 7 – 10 days in a cool spot, away from direct sunlight.
6. Check every few days and when ready, transfer to the refrigerator.