It’s still a scorcher so more inside chores today – I finish the Pear Jam, baked two loaves of bread, put up three batches of sausage and some burgers in the freezer, and made a batch of plum sauce.
I made some Bread and Butter Pickles last night, but it was late and I was too tired to blog about it so here’s the recipe I used.
Bread and Butter Refrigerator Pickles
- 2 pounds pickling cucumbers, sliced
- 8 small cipollini onions, sliced
- ¼ c canning salt
- 2 c sugar
- 2 c white vinegar
- 1 T mustard seed
- 1 t celery seed
- ½ t ground turmeric
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- Combine the cucumbers, onions and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and cover with crushed ice. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain; rinse and drain again.
- Combine the sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric, and cloves and bring to a boil. Add cucumber mixture and return to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and ladle the hot mixture into a large Le Parfait type jar. Let cool and refrigerate.
- 4 pounds Italian Prunes, washed and pitted
- 1 med. onion
- 1.5 c brown sugar
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1 T dry mustard
- 2 T ground ginger
- 1 T kosher salt
- 2 T minced garlic
- 4 T minced ginger
- 1 small bottle Hoisin Sauce
- 3 T soy sauce
- 2 t red pepper flakes
- 1 c apple cider vinegar
- Chop the plums and then the onions in the food processor.
- Combine the remaining ingredients with plums and onions in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Bring the ingredients a boil and then reduce heat. Cook for one hour or until thickened.
- Puree the ingredients with an immersion blender right until smooth and continue cooking for another hour, or until the sauce reaches the desired thickness.
- Ladle sauce into hot pint jars and process for 20 minutes.
I picked up some Italian Seasoned (not very) ground turkey on clearance the other day and today was the day to re-season and store it.
Package #1 (top right) – Maple Breakfast Sausage
maple syrup, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, sage
Package #2 (center right) – Moroccan Sausage
Moroccan seasoning from New Seasons
Package #3 (bottom right) – Citrus Sausage
Citrus seasoning from New Seasons
The left side has seasoned ground beef for burgers
These will all go into the freezer and then get packaged up. Perfect for back to school.