Over the last couple of days I’ve been taking advantage of out lovely spring days to learn about making food with some of the plants growing on the property.
Spruce Tips – I made a batch of Spruce Tip Salt this afternoon. I also started a batch of Spruce Tip Syrup by steeping the tips overnight in a simple syrup.
- 1/2 cup spruce tips
- 1/2 cup salt
- add the spruce tips to the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped
- add the salt and continue to process until well blended
- lay out on a plate or tray to dry
Lilacs – Yesterday I made a Lilac Syrup and today I added some layered lilac sugar to the pantry.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lilac flowers
- 5 frozen blueberries
- heat the water and sugar together until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- add the lilac flowers and blueberries and simmer for 6 minutes
- strain and bottle