Apple Pie Filling:
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples (4 medium)
- 2 pounds Newton Pippen apples
(4 medium)5 medium
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to finish
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Peel, core and cut the apples the into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices
- Toss the apples with the 3/4 cup of sugar, lemon juice and zest, salt, cinnamon and allspice.
- Pour the mixture, along with the juices, into a chilled pie shell, mounding the apples in the center.
- Roll out another dough for the top of the pie.
- Trimming and tucking this dough underneath so that the folded edge is even with the edge of the pie pan. Crimp the edging or press with fork to seal.
- Cut vents in the dough top.
- Brush egg white onto top of the crust and sprinkle evenly with the reserved sugar.
- Bake at 425 degrees until the top crust is light golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Reduce the oven to 375 degrees and continue baking until the juices bubble and the crust is a deep golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes longer.
- Transfer the pie to a rack to cool to room temperature.