Christmas, the turkey, is getting big (and protective). He fluffs up when we come down to the coop for a visit as Thanksgiving, his mate, barks at everyone. They’re quite lovely.
Fig Wine from Winemaker Magazine
- 9 lb. figs
- 6 1/2 quarts water
- 3 1/2 lbs. sugar
- 2 T acid blend
- 2 Campden tablet – crushed
- 2 t yeast nutrient
- 1 pkg Montrachet yeast
- Chop the figs, place them into a fruit bag and put it into your primary fermentation vessel.
- Stir in all of the ingredients except the yeast.
- Check the specific gravity, it should be between 1.085 to 1.095. If it is not, add up to 1/4 cup more sugar, stirring well before checking.
- Cover the fermenter with a towel
- After at east 12 hours, add the yeast. Stir twice a day, pressing the fruit to help extract the juices.
- When the specific gravity reaches 1.040, hang the bag to drain
- Add the liquid into secondary fermenter and fit it with an airlock.
- Ferment to dryness (a specific gravity 1.000 or lower — this takes about 3 weeks).
- Rack into clean secondary fermenter, top up to 1 gallon and reattach airlock.
- Rack again in 2 months.
- Rack again and bottle when clear.
- This is a good dry wine. If you want it sweet, stabilize, then add 1/4 lb. dissolved sugar per gallon. Bottle after three weeks.
Boy it’s been a long time since I updated this. Bentley’s passing was really hard on the whole family and we’ve just been doing the “must do’s” without thinking much about the “want to’s”. My oldest is off to the university within the week and the end of summer is on our minds.
Outside, the gophers have gotten to the potato crop, but the zucchini are great this year and we’ve picked our first tomato. The fruits are ripening well, we’ve got blueberries, wineberries and figs now with apples, plums, grapes and blackberries coming on. We even got our first peach – very exciting since this is my fourth peach tree and I’ve been waiting for peach for 14 years (the deer ate the other trees).
Yesterday, I put up 4 pints of Fig/Orange Preserves and started some wineberry jelly. I was only able to get 1 cup of wineberry juice, so there won’t be much jelly, but I didn’t want to mix it with other fruit. I also put some yellow onions in for scallions (they were on clearance for $1 at the farm store) and some bush beans.
Joe finished the base for the greenhouse this morning and we may be able to put the house on this afternoon. I’m so excited to move some of the tomatoes and basil in when the weather turns cool and see if I can keep them going for a while.
This morning I started a batch of Zucchini Bread.