Sorry about the last of posts lately but one of the Giant Puppies is really ill. Bentley hasn’t eaten much in almost two weeks and has lost about 9 pounds. It started with a swollen face from a tooth abscess that required antibiotics. He wasn’t eating much, but would take some squishy food by hand. Last week, the antibiotics were done and he developed diarrhea and started vomiting. We tried an ultrasound, X-Rays and another round of antibiotics and he just won’t eat. No food = diarrhea = weak dog = no food….etc. This afternoon we took him in for a Barium procedure to see if there is a blockage they may have missed on the other procedures.
I just finished scrubbing the walls, counters, cabinets and sweeping up glass in the laundry room. The cantaloupe flavored kombucha blew up. I ought those bail-top bottles vent before they blew up. It blew so hard that the glass shards took some of the paint off f the door and wall. It was crazy and now it’s after four o’clock in the morning and I’m just getting back to bed.
Yesterday I was able to pick up about 3 dozen meyers lemons, another 50 or so tomatoes, and about 40 apples along with a few bags of salad, some watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, pineapple and a few avocados.
So what to do when life gives you lemons? You make Preserved Lemons…..
one bail-top sterile jar
10 meyer lemons
Rinse the lemons with boiling water to remove and sprays or waxes. Cut each lemon in quarters, almost. Don’t cut all the way through so that the lemon remains connected at the end.
Put a couple of tablespoons of salt into the bottom of the jar and then pack the lemons on top.
Add more lemons so the jar is fairly well packed, adding salt between layers of lemons. I also added some lemon juice that I had in the refrigerator.
Close the jar and let the lemons macerate for about 30 days. Rinse lemons before using.
Flavored Kombucha Experiment
I also tried an experiment this morning. I had run out of room in the refrigerator for any more produce so last night I ground up the leftover pineapple, cantaloupe, and honeydew in the blender and left it overnight in the refrigerator to settle. This morning, when making a new batch of Kombucha, I added the juice to the brewed Kombucha in bail-top bottles and will ferment them again for another 3-5 days. I used a ratio of about 20% juice to 80% Kmobucha and didn’t fill the bottles completely to leave room for gas production. After the secondary ferment, the bottles will go into the refrigerator to chill and set the carbonation.
Ive also got a pot of tomatoes cooking down on the stove to make into sauce – – maybe tomorrow.
We started the day taking Bentley to the vet to have a tooth removed. He had an access a couple of weeks ago and the vet put him on antibiotics to see if it would alleviate the infection. The infection went down but he got a pretty nasty stomach ache with both ends involved in the trouble (if you know what I mean). We tried pumpkin (he didn’t like it) and chicken with rice (came back up) and this morning took him to another vet to have the dental work done. He had lost 6 pounds in a week and was too sick to have the procedure done as overnight he had taken a turn for the worse. After a day of medicine, phone calls and IV fluids, Bentley is home and napping. He just finished a couple of spoons of ID food. Let’s hope it stays both down and in (for a while).
This part is just for my record so I don’t accidentally throw anything away: