I can’t believe that summer is already 10% gone and it’s still cloudy and rainy. Wahhhhh. Oh well, since today is crummy outside, I’ve decided to play inside.
First I put up a couple of jars of reclaimed Cherries – the Bing cherries are in vodka with sugar, the Queen Anne Cherries are in Brandy with sugar. I just cut the stems back to about 1/2 inch and layered them with sugar before covering them in the alcohol.
I also have a batch of Bacon Jam on the stove.
- 1 1/2 lbs bacon – cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large onions – diced
- 3 cloves of garlic – diced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coffee
- Cook bacon in a pan over med high heat until they are slightly browned. Remove and drain, reserve one tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan
- Add the onions in garlic to the bacon fat and cook until translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and the bacon to pan and stir. Cover and simmer for 2- 3 hours or until liquid becomes syrupy.
- Place the mixture into a food processor and pulse until it becomes jam-like.
- Pack into a jar and store in the refrigerator.