It’s been a productive morning so far – I thinks it’s just after 10 o’clock and I’ve got:
- 5 quarts of carrots in the canner
- 4 trays of apples in the dehydrator
- 2 batches of apple scraps stewing for pectin
- a kettle of applesauce on the stove (5 pints)
The carrots and apples were free (reclaimed produce) so it’s just the cost of about 2 T of salt for the carrots, a bit of sugar for the apple sauce, a few canning jar lids and the propane and electricity to heat everything up.
This afternoon I’m hoping to finish up the pizza sauce and make a pan of potatoes au gratin with some leftover cheese and reclaimed potatoes.
Noon: The carrots are finished. The applesauce has about another 20 minutes until it’s ready to mash and can. I had time to mix up a batch of bread dough for the refrigerator. It will rise for a couple of hours and get stored in the fridge. In the mean time I made a batch of Black and White Brownies:
Black and White Brownies
- Combine 1 box brownie mix w/ 2 eggs, 1/2 cup oil, 1/4 water – put 3/4 into a 9″x13″ pan lined with parchment and greased
- Combine 1 stick cream cheese (ours had a little pepper jelly on the outside left over from Caleb’s graduation party), 1 egg yolk, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 t vanilla – drop by spoonfuls onto the brownie mix.
- Cover the cream cheese mix with the remainder of the brownie mix and swirl to marble with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
Three O’Clock: Just put the 7 half pints of pizza sauce in the canner. The brownies are way to delicious and everything is almost cleaned up.