I first had this dessert with my BFF on “girls day” at a local restaurant called Papa Hayden in Portland, Oregon. It’s crunchy and creamy, light and fruity, and altogether delicious. It looks so difficult to make, but when I found instructions online (thank you SubRosa) it didn’t look to bad to try.
- 1 1/2 cup egg whites – about 10 eggs
- 2 cups white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add the sugar (1-2 T at a time) to incorporate it. Continue beating until glossy.
- Draw 3 8″ circles onto sheet of parchment – flip over and divide the meringue between them. Spread it ou to the edges of the circle with a spatula
- Bake until dry and crispy – about 2.5 hours
…….more to come
Filling – whip until fairly stiff cream
- 4 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 T vanilla
Put one layer of meringue onto the serving plate. Add 1/3 of the whipped cream. Layer on strawberries drizzle with melted chocolate (I used dark chocolate chips. Add a second, then a third layer to complete the dessert.