I found a cracked coconut this afternoon at the Grocery Outlet marked down to 25¢. After looking around on Google for a little while I decided to try making coconut milk with it. It was fairly easy and really quite fun.
- Crack open coconut.
- Use a table knife to separate the flesh from the shell.
- Peel off the dark skin using a knife or veg peeler (mine was too dull)
- Cut into small slices or pieces and place half in the blender with 1 cup water from the tea kettle. Blend until no chunks show in the blender container (This took a couple of minutes with my Kitchenaid blender).
- Pour into a fine sieve and repeat with the rest of the coconut.
- Take small handfuls of the coconut from the sieve and squeeze to release more milk. Place the coconut meat onto a sheet pan to dry for a couple of days.
I ended up with a sheet pan full of unsweetened, shredded coconut and a pint of coconut milk. All of this for only a quarter.