My vanilla beans arrived today so I was able to start two bottles of vanilla extract. One is a quart of Madagascar Vanilla and the other is a pint of Tahitian Vanilla. The Tahitian beans came free with my order of Madagascar beans from the Vanilla Company. From what I’ve read, I think my extract will be ready to use in four months, just missing the holiday baking season (I have really bad timing).
The first bottle has ten Tahitian beans combined with 2 cups of vodka. I sliced the beans down the center and then cut them into 1 inch pieces. I tried scraping out the seeds and adding them separately but was losing too much vanilla on the counter.
The second bottle has Madagascar beans (1/4 pound) with 3.5 cups of vodka.
I also decided to make a batch of vanilla sugar with some of the Madagascar beans. I used three beans in two cups of sugar. I just split the beans, cut them into 1/2″ sections and put them into a food processor bowl with the sugar for about 20 seconds. Then I put it all through a sieve to get out the chunky bits. I threw those bits into a separate jar with about 1/2 cup of vodka for some extract (nothing goes to waste if I can).
I’m going to add photos every week to see it progress.