1/3 Cup Tapioca
3/4 Cup Water
2 1/4 Cup Milk
1/4 t Salt
2 Eggs separated
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 t vanilla extract
1. Soak the tapioca in the water for 3 hours.
2. Add the soaked tapioca, milk and salt to a sauce pan.
3. Beat the egg yolks and add them to the pan.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Beat the egg whites and sugar.
6. Add some of the hot tapioca mixture to temper the egg whites, then place everything back into the pan and cook for 3 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
7. Add the vanilla.
8. Serve warm or chilled.