from: Martha Stewart Living December 1992
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 pound unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, and cinnamon. Set mixture aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture; mix on low speed until thoroughly combined. Divide dough in half; wrap in plastic. Chill at least 1 hour (I chilled my dough overnight).
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Take out the dough from the fridge, by now it will be very hard but it will get soft after you’ve rolled it a few minutes. On a floured surface, roll dough to about 1/8″ thick. Cut into desired shapes. Transfer to ungreased baking sheets; refrigerate until firm, 15 minutes.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until crisp but not darkened. Cool on wire racks; decorate as desired.
- 2 large egg white
- 3 1/2 cups sifted confectioner’s sugar
- juice from one lemon
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add the sugar and lemon juice. Add water if it is too think, more sugar if too thin.